Thursday, July 28, 2011

LONGING FOR MY FANTASY RANCH HOUSE

Because my last drawer project was so widely acclaimed, I would like to share my latest work with you. I made pop-up books with Anika during Ben's nap. Echo with me now ...
l o n g d a y f o r a h o u s e w i f e. I love my life and kids but man, how endlessly long is a summer's day!



...Together they enjoyed a beautiful agrarian life, complete with milk goats, a gun nest, and solar panels. THE END.

That's really all I've ever wanted for myself and my family. And only marginally for myself when compared to how much I want my kids to grow up how I did. Our property bordered the National Forest. We had horses, cats, a dog, a bunny, even a pigeon coop! (My Mom had a raising-messenger-pigeons phase. Until coyotes got inside the coop!) If we had so much as a 10X10 patch of grass, I would immediately get Anika a puppy. I think pets are such a huge part of childhood.

We played outside from morning until night. I'm pretty sure no one was watching us, either. We would roam all over and had forts everywhere. I wish I could set my kids free outside. Where we lived, there were no roads or kidnappers. We were free to be kids. We didn't wear shoes all summer. For now, I'm doing the best I can with the situation we've got...

...Which is the back porch, parks, etc.

100+ degress on a July evening... transformers costume with long pants underneath, and mittens! Why not? I purchase fewer clothes since entering Anika's dress-herself phase. She just wears the same five things repeatedly.


Dear Boonies,

I'm coming someday. I promise.

Forever yours,

Alana.



Have I ever told you the story of my childhood home and how it was built? My parents bought an old home, disassembled the entire thing, and moved it (partly by helicopter) to our new lot and put it back together in a new shape! Not kidding! My Mom planned every last square inch herself! She had to use everything from the old house... windows, etc. to design a new home. Even down to each single light switch and its location was my Mom's design. It was amazing.

I was just a baby but the older kids had to help in the huge project. They even used the same bricks from the old place and the kids' job was to scrape the mortar off the old bricks. They had a song that they sang to the tune of
I've been workin' on the railroad. IT went... "I've been workin' on the brick pile"... and they still sing it sometimes to reminisce.

AMAZEBALLS!

2 comments:

Ciara said...

I truly hope you get to live your dream someday too. There is definitely work with a ranch or more property but there is also freedom. We talk about wanting to live on acreage too but for now we are lucky to have a backyard.

Alana said...

Thanks, Ci. It's comforting to know others are rooting for my dreams. I always remind myself to be grateful for everything. I may not have "The Ultimate" that I long for but I remind myself that as far as the rest of humanity goes, "The Ultimate" is plumbing, clean water, and a safe place for my children to grow. Goats or no goats, we really do have it ALL here in America. Whenever Anika plays in the clean hose water on the porch, I feel so guilty as I watch it pour and pour... thinking of all the people who don't even have clean water in the world! And here we are...playing in and wasting gallon after gallon.