Wednesday, April 14, 2010

April 14th. Time to start doing my taxes.

Yep. I'm the one who waits until April 14th at 11 pm not only to begin filing, but to painfully rampage the house trying to find all of my forms. I ended up having to find most of them online. Ug. For my efforts, I think I should get to keep the refund this year. Seriously, why am I the designated tax spouse in the marriage? I have to admit I can't complain because upon year 1 of matrimonial pandemonium, I nominated Q to take care of all vehicle-related matters which is why he has to do the 3-month late Honda registration tomorrow so I can stop avoiding cops and driving 2 miles an hour to stay behind traffic patrols. OK- fair trade I suppose. I hate the way mechanics look at you like you're some dumb blond who doesn't deserve to look at a car let alone drive one. You know, that "pearls-before-swine" look of condescension. Maybe I'll tell Q about the refund but leave out the part about when I realized (doing taxes the RIGHT way this year) that I screwed up royally last year and cost us big $$$.

Fine. I'll settle for a luxury hair highlights appointment next week and call it even.

2 comments:

Alana said...

Awesome.

I think I know that pearls-before-swine look. And maybe especially because it's the look I gave Brandon when I had to explain to him for the fifteenth time what it meant to itemize our deductions.

I, too, am the unfortunate tax spouse. I have tried hard to let go of control of certain (not all) things in the hopes that responsibility will follow but alas, year after year B's truck registration goes months past due. I stare at it day after day on this desk, wondering when it's going to announce its existence to my oblivious husband. Bless his heart. (Insert pearls-before-swine roll of the eyes.)

PAUSE.

Bless his heart. (Insert pure-love-of-Christ and genuine, charitable, warm smile.)

I try not to take offense to that pearls-before-swine tone at the repair shop because I've realized that I DON'T know what I'm talking about.

But here's the difference: I can get off my high horse to, at the very least, EXPLAIN something to someone in the hopes they will retain the information for future use. So, why can't the mechanic? They should at least be decent enough to EXPLAIN to me what the problem is in the hopes that my poor little self can learn something. Use your condescending tone if you must but at least do me the decency of demonstrating hope in me by offering a simple EXPLANATION.

Oh, highlights. I'm past-due and going without but I don't know how long I can hold out. My American lifestyle is non-negotiable. Especially when it comes to my hair! I guess I'll hide as long as possible in my last fox-hole: The $8 Natural Instincts box.

I can't believe I'm on the mend enough to blog. I had a cough for over a week and then it suddenly got worse... fever of 102 for twelve hours, coughing for an hour straight -recurrently, it was hell. It's such a good feeling when you start feeling better, mmm?

Ciara said...

I hope I didn't give you my cough. Probably did. Sorry if that was the case. Although, I never had a fever. Neither of us do our taxes, we pay an accountant to do them for us. It makes life so much easier and he probably gets us more money back than we would. As far as the car registration, in Oregon, registration lasts for two years and our license lasts for 8.