Friday, March 11, 2011

Alana is a...

Wuss

Making the transition to two children has left my mouth agape in awe of every mother in the world. I don't know how they do it. Without help, anyway. I'm pretty sure God knew I would need a lot of help and that's why He arranged so nicely for my Mom and sister to live next door to me. I really believe we are clustered together here purposefully by God himself. My Mom was with me constantly the first two weeks home with Ben. Often, Janna would take Anika somewhere and my Mom would take care of Ben to let me nap without listening to his grunting. (He grunts in his sleep!) One night when I had been particularly sleep-deprived, my Mom stayed over until midnight and let me hop in bed at 9 to get a head-start on sleep. She cooked and cleaned and brought me cranberry juice in bed, ever careful to keep her big baby girl hydrated and her milk flowing. I recognize I am utterly spoiled by having all this help. How does anyone do it on their own? I am a total wuss. And in awe of women everywhere.


Controlling Beeyotch

I have to try really, really hard to not be a controlling psycho. It comes so naturally to me to wear the pants in my marriage. I don't like this and it has taken me years and years to tone it down even one degree. I am thinking about this because this morning Brandon called me to ask me if he could do a garden box on our porch. I'd rather have him plant to the side of the porch and told him so. I finally told him it's his deal and do it however he wants because a life wherein you cannot do as you please is crap. I'm getting better at letting things go. This is nothing short of a miracle. I don't want to be "that wife". Once Quinn left a message on MY phone asking me if Brandon could go fishing. I had never laughed so hard in my life. I should have saved it forever. Brandon was cracking up too. After being friends with us for a decade, one would have to be totally blind to miss the 'Alana-is-controlling dynamic'. I hope I can continue to get better at this wife business.


Wearer of White Hanes V-Necks

Somebody out there please help me. I can't wear any of my clothes! I have always sported the white Hanes but postpartum, it's literally the only thing I can wear comfortably. I can't take it anymore. I think I'll hit up Ross after Ben's appointment this morning. Please, heaven above, let me find one shirt. ONE shirt. That's all I ask. I'll wear the white hanes everyday if I must but let me have ONE thing to wear when I go somewhere. Pray for me, friends.

2 comments:

The Jones Family said...

Alana- it is normal to have the feelings of stress with two kids. Kids have been the BIGGEST adjustment for our marriage, I think everything for "you" just gets pushed aside and you live in survival mode. You are lucky to have your mom and sis to help you. I didn't have an ounce of help after having two, plus Justin left me for the damn deer hunt when MAttix was 3 days old. But I can totally relate to these feeling you are having. I am finally just starting to feel like hailey and mattix play together and entertain eachother, which helps, so you are lucky to have family near by and Emmett to play with Anika. If Anika ever wants to come over or you want me to come pick her up, I am more than happy too. Take care. Sorry this turned into a novel!

Alana said...

Thanks, Kasey! It helps to know most Moms feel the same way. Having young ones makes you feel like a non-person. I am determined this time to make time for myself and things I like to do. Raising kids is hard!!!