Friday, March 25, 2011

Williams - Near Death Experience

Okay so we weren't that close to dying but I felt my life flash before my eyes for a good 15-20 minutes. Last Saturday, we decided to take the kids hiking because it was a sunny day. The hike we picked though happened to be up in some mountains and there was nothing but snow. So much for the nice sunny day. The hike went rather well. It was a bit chilly but the kids had a great time and there was a beautiful waterfall at the end called University Falls. The kids didn't complain, they hiked the whole way and we made it back to the car in one piece.


Then, Herb decided to take a drive on a road we had never been on. I told him as soon as he pulled out that he was going the wrong way and he said, "This road leads to the highway too and so I want to check it out." Don't ever agree to this especially in the winter when there is snow on the ground. We proceeded down the road with no problems until we came to a hill covered in snow. Herb manuevered his way down the hill and at the bottom was a sharp U turn and a ravine on one side. We ended up getting stuck in the snow at the bottom of the hill inches from the ravine. No cell service and the classic, we didn't tell a sole where we were going. Sage kept saying, "Dad, I can see over the edge." I was gripping the dash, but Herb was so casual and handled it so well. He would get out, dig out the tires, climb in, give it some gas, and we would slide sideways and ever closer to the ravine. After repeating this scenario numerous times, we finally made it out of the 3 foot deep snow but had to climb a hill with just as much snow on it. We finally made it to the top and I stopped hyperventaliting and then we realized that the road that actually leads to the highway was completely snowed over and there was nowhere to go but back through the nightmare turn. I was nauscious just thinking about having to go through that scenario again and sure enough we got stuck in the exact same spot. I kept having these nightmare of rolling into the ravine or having to sleep in our cold car all night long and when you have three small children to care for it makes it even more daunting. There life is in our hands. We made it out alive after Herb successfully dug us out. If I wasn't so concerned with my life, I think now that I should have gotten out and taken a picture of our predicament. You will just have to imagine it but I did get some photos of the falls.

3 comments:

Alana said...

That is so horrifying. It made me cringe even to read it. I'm so glad you guys are okay. Oooh, shudders all over. That place is gorgeous, though. Very misty. But yikes!

Nic said...

Um- Some of our most epic fights are when Q decides to take the scenic route... I HATE driving for fun. Maybe in 1920 when cars were a rarity. I just don't understand why people "go for drives." That does not sound fin to me at all... add to that, taking a new road just for fun. I hate traveling. It is a good thing Herb is married to you because I would not be speaking to Q for a month if that happened to me! I'm so glad you are safe. FREAKY!!! No more ravines please!!!! Good thing Herb has some serious driving and digging skills. He may take the road less traveled, but he must be a man's man to get you all out of your scary scenario.

Kelli Eudis said...

Um...I'm having a panic attack right now reading this.