Before we get to Anika's new room, let's talk about Ben. Brandon pointed out to me that Ben Larson sounds like Bin Laden. Oops. That never occurred to me while naming him. Oh well. He is still being really good and snuggly. I cannot believe what a different experience this is compared to Anika. It is night and day. I love him and kiss him about one million times a day because I know he'll grow up soon and not let me do it as much as I'd like.
Anika moved out of the nursery to make way for Ben. I realized I never shared her room with you guys. The rooms are so tiny but I feel like I do a good job making them seem bigger and keeping A LOT of toys and crap organized. A key feature that accomplishes this is the Ikea bookshelf. Thanks, Ciara, for the inspiration. I bought the identical one and it does wonders!
The thing that makes the biggest difference in these tiny rooms is removing the closet doors. Brandon freaked on me but I maintain it's the only way to make it work. It makes the room seem larger and I don't have to open the closet to get anything. You could never do this with big people's clothes but baby and kid clothes are so cute, it's not an eyesore. I swear it makes the room seem twice as big.
I also put storage bins underneath her bed. Anika picked out that dog picture on her wall. Every time we were at TJ Maxx she would ask to go see it. She would laugh and laugh at it, saying how funny their glasses were and kept asking me if we could buy it. When it went on clearance, we did just that. It makes me smile every time I look at it... especially because she picked it out. What a funny little girl.
I got the nursery totally ready for Ben. But then he came and the whole room got stripped of its belongings. There is nothing left in there but a spinning hubcap. And Brandon. Yes, the crib is in my room. The glider got moved to the living room, along with the nightstand. And B got booted to the nursery. It will stay this way, I'm sure, for a few months until Ben regulates his sleep pattern. Then the crib can move back to the nursery and B can come back to bed. Our set-up now works well, though. Then I can deal with Ben and Brandon's sleep isn't disrupted. (Lucky!)
Saturday, March 12, 2011
Anika's Room
Posted by Alana at 6:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Um- you are a genius with decor! I was thinking that when I came to see you but should have said it out loud. What's with every home in SGU looking the same: Tan. And shoot me if I ever use forest green.
I also have no closet doors and I agree with you about the space factor. In fact, I asked Q to remove the closet doors in our new house so I could put up curtains around them (like windows) and he freaked... but he ended up having to remove them anyway for the new carpet (I win!).
So what's with me coming to your house to make you feel good and the whole time all that happens is you making me feel like I'm the coolest, skinniest, hottest thing on earth?!?! You always do that and I feel bad that I don't ever tell you how amazing you are when I'm with you. Sniff Sniff. But you are- Alana: there is positively NO ONE like you and you are so many people's favorite person.
Plus- you look amazing! You are glowing! Your hair is like hair of a flowing greek goddess, and you house is gorgeous. Plus- You write better than anyone I know. Honestly- we could turn your posts into a book and make some money. Seriously. We could.
Carry on.
I am loving all your posts. It is good to see you hanging around again. You sound wonderful and happy.
Nicole, you are too nice. I laughed and laughed at the greek goddess hair part. That really gave me a boost... and a laugh. My friends are the best. Ciara, I wish we lived closer. And if you lived here, we would all get together more because you are the glue!
Post a Comment