Alright, I've read all the books that talk about putting your child to bed awake so they can learn to self-soothe. I TOTALLY AGREE. It's a skill they need and so that's exactly what I did... not until she was 9 months. She was a pro at it. I would sing to her or read in the rocking chair and then plop her in her crib and walk out. Within minutes she would be asleep. The last time she was really sick I rocked her every night. I figured since she wasn't feeling well she would need it. That's when the habit started. She has been well forever now and... I'm still rocking her.
I love those last few minutes of her day. She looks up at me and smiles. Sometimes she sticks her feet up to my mouth so I can kiss them. Sometimes she talks about her day... parks, dogs, ducks. And then she dozes off nice and peaceful in my arms. I really enjoy it. It's the best part of MY day.
I know I need to go back to putting her to bed AWAKE but true to addict form, I keep putting it off. "Oh, she had a bad day today, she needs to be rocked" I tell myself. I come up with some excuse every day.
So, what's so bad about rocking her, you may ask? Sounds good for both of you, right? Sure, until she starts crying in the middle of the night. When she doesn't soothe herself to sleep then she wants me to rock her if she wakes up in the middle of the night. It's impossible to resist because I, myself, am so dead tired that I will do just about anything to get her back to sleep so I can sleep.
Pretty much I know I need to start putting her down awake again like the old days. She was such a pro! And I am such a sucker. I really like snuggling her and I keep thinking how she isn't going to be little forever and one day I wont be able to rock her anymore. I plan on quitting this habit but... couldn't I have just one more day?
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Hooked on THE ROCK
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I am a Rock Addict too! Sorta I guess, Molly always lays on my chest or in my arms before she goes to bed then I lay her in her crib and off to dream land she goes. She sleeps through the night most of the time and I dont plan on stopping I just can't. Maybe I need rehab! I cant stop and dont plan on it cuz she is already growing up too fast soon she will get embarrased when I kiss her infront of her friends so NO i will not stop, I support the rocking 100% alteast until your munchkin is older:)
I will never be a good a mom as you.
The letting a kid cry itself to sleep thing... not a problem for me.
Oh great- now you will never let me babysit.
good news. I have hit rock bottom. Lastnight was pure hell... I wont get into it but it was a healthy reminder of why I had started making her go to bed awake in the first place (at 9 months). It truly is for her own good. The poor thing. It will be hard on her now because of our rocking phase. She deserves consistency. I wish I never started the whole merry go round over... when she was sick. I will miss it but not as much as I miss sleeping through the night.
Post a Comment