Sunday, December 7, 2008

Impulse Control

You might enjoy this little story:

It had been a stressful day. Anika was sick. Brandon was recovering from surgery. I had just rinsed out Brandon's barf bowl, wiped Anika's snotty nose, and somehow wrestled my huge butt into mysteriously shrunken jeans. Out the door finally! To... the post office. Anika threw a big fit when I walked in and tried to stand in line. She took one look at all the strangers and started arching her back and screaming. By the way, she currently will not go within 20 feet of an LDS church without doing the same charade. But that's a story for another day.

So, have you ever turned onto Bluff from Diagonal? It's way hard, especially if you have to cross all three lanes. I was taking my precious time, keenly aware of the Harley bike behind me revving its engine and nearly nudging me. That's when it went black.

"That's it!" I threw it into park along with the E break and... out I came. "Is there I problem?" I squealed. "Well, I've just seen countless opportunities for you to pull out." says the helmetless and much-scarier-than-I-thought biker dude. "Well, I've got my little girl in the car and she is precious cargo so if you have a problem then GO AROUND ME." I was truly yelling by then and then hopped back in the car where my instant-guilt awaited.

Why Alana, why? By now there was a line of cars behind us. Big biker dude went around but frightened lady in white mid-size sedan stayed at least a car length behind me. I glared at her through the rear view. Just try me lady. Just try me.

I was instantly ashamed. How low-life can I get? Concurrently, my horizon card was being printed in SLC. (NO JOKE) Let's see... what else is new? Brandon is home for a month. He is doing better post-surgery. I'll tell you what though... I have never seen him in that kind of pain. I spent that first night in the hospital with him. The morphine drip wasn't touching his pain. He didn't remember half of it though... just the vomiting. He is improving, slowly.

Brandon's parents went and cut us down a Christmas tree! It was like, well... Christmas! It is gigantic... the KING of trees and absolutely magical. They cut it down at night with flashlights and then tied it to the 4-wheeler! They are so fun and spontaneous. I am feeling the Christmas spirit big time now.

Um, what else is new?

Today was the most fun COLD winter day. We have been stuck at home so we had the ultimate Christmas-season day. I made biscuits, lobster bisque, and topped it off with baking gingerbread men. All of it would have tasted that much better with a snow storm.

My Mom is most likely moving in with us for a while beginning January. It will help us and her out just while she tries to find a nice and affordable place. Cara is moving back to Newport Beach. And... Brandon and I are being sued. No, really. I answered the door the other night expecting the Relief Society and I GOT SERVED!

I should really blog a bit more. I hadn't realized how much has been going on.
Thanks Nicole for the fancy new blog template. I will catch you all later.

Oh wait- How can I talk about the last 2 weeks without also mentioning Twilight? I am completely obsessed. Nicole, when you are a famous author, could I solicit you for the position as your personal assistant? You are going to need one of those.

Still going...
So, about me and impulse control. What is with that? I am famous in my family for throwing food but have gone years now, you know... food-throwing-free.
I once threw a ham sandwich at Janna. This wasn't when we were 10- we're talking 3 years ago. That same year I threw a dinner roll at her head as hard as I could. That's not to say I didn't fight with sisters in childhood too. In fact, Janna and I used to brawl like brothers. We're not talking about pulling somebody's pig tails. We're talking sitting on top of a sister and slamming her brace face in with fists until she's catching blood with cupped hands. Janna had this awesome move where she would grab your arms and knee you in the back to get you on the ground. We would get sent to our rooms and soon enough one of us would slip an "I'm sorry, I love you, let's play house when Mom lets us out." note underneath the other's door, and be best friends all over again...

If only I knew where big biker dude lived???...
I perhaps could slip him a note. I might want to leave out the "I love you" bit and most certainly the "Let's play house" bit but... how about...
Can we still be friendsters?

4 comments:

Nic said...

This is the most hilarious thing I have read in a long time. You seriously... no, I mean seriously got out and chewed the head off a biker dude? I am honored to call you friend!!!! More later. I think I'll be at school until midnight. ug. End-of-quarter bites. At least it's only 4 times a year.

Ciara said...

Wow, alot is going on in your life. What are you being sued for? Thanks for the funny story.

Nic said...

6:55 pm- still at work. Didn't go to the bathroom from 8 AM to 6 PM or eat lunch. Too busy to even notice. DUDE!!!

Alana said...

Nicole, that is insane!!! You work so hard. They need to pay you 100 grand a year.

We're being sued for something about our property's run-off drainage pipes mudding and flooding the property below us. $50,000!

And yes, unfortunately it's true... I did chew out biker dude. I'm such a freak show.