This is a GREAT story.
My Dad was not a member of the church when my parents married. My Mom took the kids to church by herself for years. As my brother neared the age of 8, my Dad started taking the missionary discussions.
The morning of Alex's baptism, my Dad was out on the deck having a cigarette. My Mom said he stayed out there for a very long time, long after he finished smoking, and just seemed to be staring and pondering.
After Alex was baptized there was confusion as everyone was lingering. Janna was a baby and fussing in my Mom's arms so my Mom didn't really know what was going on. She asked her mother (my Nonna) what was happening and where Alan had disappeared to. Through tears, Nonna said, "It's Alan. He said, 'Save the water.'"
Save the water, they did. Everyone waited while my Dad was interviewed for baptism. And it happened! My Dad and Alex were baptized the same day.
I wasn't born yet but I like to think I was watching, amused at this cast of characters I would join in a few years.
I just think that story is delightful. I can totally hear my Dad..."Save the water!"
He screwed up royally later in life and struggled with many things. But he never did two things after that day: doubt the gospel or smoke a cigarette.
He was excommunicated when I was about 9 but was a believer 'til the bitter end and working his way back to the church and us. And the smoking... I think that's so funny. Only because he had so many addictions he couldn't shake to save his life, literally. But my Mom says that cigarette on the deck that morning truly was the last he ever touched.
I love him.
Vaya con dios, amigo.
________________________________
I'm enjoying writing about random memories. I'm not sure they're enjoyable to read but it is very cathartic for me so I'm going to keep it up.
I've been reading the history of my Great Great Grandfather and it dawned on me... I wouldn't know any of this unless someone wrote it down! I have really caught the spirit of wanting to know more about my progenitors. It's so fascinating. I'll just keep writing random stories as I get to them and printing them on actual paper.
Thursday, October 6, 2011
Save the Water
Posted by Alana at 8:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Great story Alana. Teared me up a bit.
I am glad you share them. You have a way with words and you express your stories in the most fascinating way. You reel me in every time.
Post a Comment