Sunday, October 16, 2011

Undone

Nic,

The second I read your proposed title Something's Gotta Give I thought of yesterday. And everyday like yesterday. Which is everyday. Because everyday is the same.

The kids were up at dark as usual and the work began as usual. All day, housework. Momwork. And I kept thinking this one thought: a homemaker's job is never DONE. Every job I do comes undone. The house gets dirty again. The kids' nails keep growing and need to be clipped. The kids get dirty again. The clothes get dirty again. The toys get scattered again. The food gets eaten. The baby needs to nurse. The trash fills up again and on and on and on.

I feel like I'm on a crazy train that's never going to stop. Ugghhh, I sighed, when will anything ever feel DONE?!

That's when I realized... it'll be done when we're dead.

After that thought, I was instantly content with my alternative (to death). The laundry basket never empty, the mouths to feed, the floors to be swept... it all means we are alive. My mundane chores breathe in and out, day after day, predictable and repetitive as a pulse. My home is alive. We are alive.

And I am ever so happy to be here.

0 comments: