Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Windy Day

I am loving this windy day. It's not too great when you try to take your kid to the park but it always does the same thing to my soul, no matter the inconvenience. In the postpartum days I would turn the overhead fan on and watch it blow my big house palm while I nursed. If I squinted my eyes and relaxed my brain just right, I was in the desert... in the wind... my center. That is my healing place. Wind. Desert. Boys. These are a few of my favorite things. I also like cantaloupe, pale blue, rivers, canyons... but these are non-essential to mention as they are encompassed with The Three. I am forever capitalizing them in my mind. Wind. Desert. Boys. They are all triggers to my soul's SOUL response. They make me feel in love. To stand in the desert on a hot sandstone slab and lean into the wind is the closest I can get to... I don't know... something. If there is anything better than The Three, I would like to hear about it. Seriously, what are a few of your favorite things? Nicole, I can understand your love affair with New York. I get it. I get it. I totally get it.

"For what is it to die but to stand naked in the WIND and to melt into the sun?"
-Kahlil Gibran

"In the love of narrow souls I make many short voyages but in vain- I find no sea room- but in great souls I sail before the WIND, without a watch, and never reach the shore."
-Thoreau

I wish I could eloquently describe the feeling I feel for these. The best short sentence I can come up with is...
"Stand in the desert against the wind". For some reason STAND and AGAINST are important to accessing this feeling while imagining my center.
Yes, that wasn't a sentence... no subject Mrs. Hadley. For the record, I'm constantly aware of my fragmented writing. Who doesn't love a - or a ...?







0 comments: