Saturday, August 1, 2009

rooster alarm

Ciara, I came across some of your words of wisdom in my Journal of Summer. Dated July 1998:

Usually most normal, boring people set their beeping, obnoxious alarm clocks for an exact time like, for instance 7:00 a.m.- 7:30 a.m. never an uneven number but Alana and I use a rooster alarm clock and set it on all weird #'s 7:02 for example. During those extra 2 minutes of sleep a lot could happen. You could finish a dream or finish the good parts. It's a rule not to set it on the hour.

-Ciara's words of wisdom.
(yes, you even wrote Ciara's words of wisdom.)

As you might expect, I rarely set an alarm because Anika wakes me up bright and early. But sometimes, perhaps leaving early for vacation or other rare events, I set it. And I still set it to random times. I physically can't bring myself to set a clock for 6:00. But 6:07 just feels better. Ciara, do you also still have this disease? Are you still setting alarms for weird times? What about sleeping with a pea underneath your mattress? Tell me you've broken that habit!

6 comments:

Nic said...

I have to start setting my alarm clock again! Bym deal. I hate the beginning of school- it totally ruins fall (the best season of all)...
A- ii years? Really? That is crazy! We are almost to the big 6 as well. Yikes. It is getting a lot better than at the first though. I still regularly refer to your INVALUABLE wedding advice every day ("There's no such thing as normal"). That right there has kept us together longer than any conference talk. and OH how can you possibly say this year went by fast??? This has been THEEE Longest year of my life!

C- We DO need to visit you and we say that every time we get together...but we don't have any money and we use that as a lousy excuse and we miss you and still wish we were in the car on they way to your house!

Ciara said...

I can't even remember the last time I set an alarm clock. But I imagine if I had to it would be on a random time.

Ciara said...

Nic

My feelings will not be hurt if you guys never come to visit but please just don't use the excuse that you "can't afford it". It costs 7 times as much to go to Brazil as it does to travel to Portland. It is all about priorities and I can't blame you for wanting to go to an exotic country. But I have lived here 8 years and how many times have you traveled to other cities or even countries during that time? All of that costs money so if you really wanted to come here you would probably make it happen.

Alana said...

hey, did jenny fo rizzle just come to visit you?

Alana said...

she makes us look oh so bad.

Ciara said...

Yeah, Jenny was just here but really she came to see some hot guy and I was just an extra bonus:) I will take what I can get. We had a great time. We went downtown and rollerbladed/biked the waterfront and walked around the city. Then the next day we picked raspberries at a u-pick farm and then we went to Seaside (beach) and played all day. She came during our heat wave. So the beach was actually nice and warm for a change.