Monday, June 9, 2008

WEEDS WRAPPED ABOUT MY HEAD

Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly,

And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.

Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.

The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.

I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.

I wanted to share my favorite scripture passage. I come back to it again and again, year after year. I love the poetry and the symbolism of the Atonement in the story of Jonah. For a long time I had felt I was "cast out of His sight". I have come to know again, as I had known always, that our prayers do come unto Him. When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the Lord. Why are we earthlings so lame and have to learn the same lesson again and again? He cares. What a realization!

5 comments:

Alana said...

I have to comment already. I have read this so many times... I am still amazed... I think these few verses are the most beautiful words ever written on earth. In all my reading and searching, I have never found more beautiful words. I am Jonah 2's greatest fan, I really believe that.

Nic said...

That's so weird- I was just thinking of Jonah. I think you're right about him. I just posted some masive blogs on my site so JNAC will have to wait until tomorrow. Oh how I hope you call tomorrow and say we can go to the movies or even just gossip at your house aftr Anika goes to sleep.

Nic said...

PAUL! What is going on? You have come back out of the dark chasm of anonimity? What is your life like now? Are you still in SLC? Do you have a doctorat degree by now (probably)? We miss you.

Nic said...

I am addited to blogging. Never made it to Oprah today. Drat- and it was the on about people who are going to die soon.
Admition: kind of not an Oprah fan lately. She's starting to really get into this power within thing and never really gets to the part about religion. HELLO O, it's called the Holy Ghost!

carly k said...

Um, I just you to know that I love the story of Jonah so much that I plan on naming one of my boys Jonah. Probably the second because the first boy is going to be Ezra. Now that you know, don't steal my names!!!