Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Santa Barbara

I'm really on a roll with this blogging thing. Who knew I would ever be able to keep up on it? Prepare yourselves for the longest post ever. I'm still waiting for you guys to ban me from this blog and make it the JCPN ey. But really, I'm kind of abusing it as my journal and want to get one of those blog books. Anyway, Meet the extended family...



These are my first cousins Kyra and Tory, so I guess that would make them and Anika 2nd cousins? I'm still a little confused about all of that. They were best friends the whole trip.


Now tell me this isn't weird: For Alex and my Dads funerals we put a long-stemmed red rose, one representing each of the family members on their thingamajig... can't say it or spell it... ugggh, coffin, swallow hard. So, the whole family is sitting on the beach, and two fresh long-stemmed roses wash up on the beach from the ocean! They were soo fresh, and washed up, not even kidding, right in front of us. I think it was maybe a little "hello".... one from each of them. That night, at dinner at my Aunts, we put them in a vase on the table and it was just so symbolic and lovely. But honestly, how strange is that? In all my life spent on the beach, nothing has ever washed up, let alone fresh and coincidentally RED roses. Where did they come from?
I was disappointed Brandon couldn't come. And not just for my own sake. I wanted him to experience a "different kind" of family reunion. Mariachi music, catered Mexican food, long days at the beach. I am a transplant to his world, and I think he should visit MINE!
On Sunday we went to my Uncle's church. He is a Presbyterian minister, that is his paid job! He has been the minister for like 20 years and they built this new church on the property. It is gorgeous and cleverly has a cry room in the back with 2-way mirrors for all the Mommies. It even has a crib. Anyway, it was really cool... even got to sing "Morning Has Broken", no not the Cat Stevens version. I wish we had that hymn in our book. But we did sing one that we have too. How long 'till I get paid for visiting teaching?
She is obsessed with stepping up and down on things and spent an hour doing just that on my Aunt Kris' surfboard. She really put on a show for everyone... just kept jumping off and yelling "Happy Day!" She was saying "Happy Day" perfectly that whole day. I think it was her best "happy day" ever.
Anika would just run into the ocean over her head if I didn't stop her. My whole childhood was spent summers at my Grandma's beach house and sitting on "our" beach in San Clemente. It felt good to share with Anika what I did as a little girl... the smells, the sounds, oh how I wish I could take her to the beach everyday. It felt like coming home.

Last but not least, The house. I think these awesome planters on the porch speak for themselves. Seriously, this house was pure perfection in every way. I'm still dreaming...
This is the guest room. I love, love, LOVE bare concrete floors. I wish everything there was for sale, bedding, etc.
This big barn door slides across to cover the office, and the whole house is floor-to-ceiling windows.
The floor plan is a U shape, everything opening out onto a gorgeous patio with ocean view, of course. The master has giant french doors, and since the weather is always perfect, all the doors were always open. The master bedroom was just like having a wall missing. This is Anika on the patio.
How awesome and funky is this living room? I was sad to leave, mostly because I love that house! Can I have it?... pleeeeaase?

All in all, we had tons of fun. Sure, there were plenty of times when it was beyond difficult with Anika... screaming fits, leaving early, horrible nights where neither of us slept. There were a few moments, like when I woke up to a bladder infection, Anika had an explosion in her half-on diaper, and she cracked her head in the tub (yes, this was all within 10 minutes) that I swore I would go home and never leave my house again. But, the fun makes up for it and you just learn to expect that part of traveling with kids is going to be pure hell. But worth it!!!

7 comments:

Nic said...

Why aren't you writing a column for a professional paper?!?!?!?!? Seriously, you are an AMAZING author! One of tyhe smartest people I know. Can I be president of your fan club?
ps- there's no such thing as blog overuse!

Nic said...

..oh, in answer to your question... to get the main body wider, you have to edit the html directly. I think it's in the wrappers. I'll try to fix up JNAC.

Nic said...

Don't let me forget that I want an SLR and a Dyson for Christmas.

Nic said...

Don't let me forget that I want an SLR and a Dyson for Christmas.

Alana said...

I love it wide!!! Like me!!! The only thing kind of freaking my mind is that the words line up on the right. I will try to get used to it, but I do like it wide.

Quinn said...

So, I know I shoudn't be looking at this blog, Nicole thinks I don't but it really payed off this time! Alana, I think you know why I am commenting on this post.... I'm not even gonna say anything but you know... WOW!

Alana said...

I Know... isn't ANIKA darling? he he he.