Friday, October 31, 2008

A Human Right

Okay, I can't keep it pent up any longer. I'll try to make it short and sweet, even quick and painless.

I saw a train-wreck of a Dr. Phil show the other week and I was stumped. I just couldn't recognize the planet I have been living on.

Every day there is some new "human right" being claimed. Education, health care, etc...

Cliffs notes:
Boyfriend and girlfriend have sexual relationship. Girlfriend claims she is unable to conceive and is also on birth control for other reasons. Girlfriend gets "miraculously" pregnant. Girlfriend wants child support. Boyfriend refuses, claiming he didn't CHOOSE to be a father and girlfriend should have had an abortion. Boyfriend claims his rights were violated.

Wait? Am I missing something? Boyfriend... did you or did you not engage in sex with girlfriend? Doesn't sex make babies? Isn't having sex risking, even if it's slightly, parenthood?

Stay tuned: This is what really got me... boyfriends attorney. Boyfriends attorney claims it is a "human right" to enjoy, essentially, the fun of sex with no strings attached. Yes, you heard me right. He thinks the courts will one day rule that whatever that would be called (recreational-only sex?) is a HUMAN RIGHT. Girlfriend violated boyfriends rights by letting the baby be born. Girlfriend forced him into parenthood against his will.

Again... boyfriend, you had sex, did you not? This was NOT the immaculate conception.

Planet earth, I do not recognize you.

Attorney was ignoring the blatant double standard. Attorney is for women's rights too. But wait... if the man shouldn't be forced into parenthood and woman wants baby... then shouldn't the woman be forced into an abortion because of a man's rights? And what if man wants baby and woman doesn't? Then should woman be forced to carry child?

They are missing the obvious. The only legitimate human right is the right to live. The only one with a claim on this holy "human right" term, is that helpless little fetus. YOU had sex, YOU get to have a baby. You did have a choice. You made your choice... and now, YES, you most definitely DO have to pay child support.

Recreational sex a human right? HA!

4 comments:

Paul Levie said...

Moral of the story if your going to knock them up they are going to come knockin later for child support. Simple cut and dry.

Nic said...

AMEN SISTA: I'm thinking that MLK had a pretty good right to add to the list: EQUALITY... and I'm totally for upping the ante to 2 intrinsic human rights, but equality doesn't mean everyone gets equal shares in the pie... it means they get equal opportunities to earn, buy, sample, push, shove, cheat, beg, steel, give, and sell the pie. I think under this umbrella of equality come the foundational roots of liberty: free speech, freedom of religion.

Nic said...

Paul- you must be a maniac to have broke a ski binding... of does this happen often? I'm sure if this is a common occurance, I def. would have broken both my bindings in my first and last attempt to sail down a mountain at death threatening speeds on two very slender boards that keep trying to slip away from each other. Again, how is this fun???

Alana said you will be in town for Thanksgiving? Dates? Any chance of hanging out?

Paul Levie said...

Not so much for Thanksgiving but rather the weekend prior to Thanksgiving. Ya I'm sure that there will be some days we could hang out only on Saturday my little brother is getting sealed.