Naw, it ain't the Star of David.

I have a little disease where once my wheels get spinning, it is extraordinarily hard for me to go to sleep. I want to go to bed but now I am thinking about my soap box of Feminism and must purge simply to rest. Binge and purge, purge to rest.
Please Alana, make it quick and painless.
Of course I am a feminist. What do you think I am? Some dumb broad? Just kidding. Ok. Women work outside the home. It's OK now. But, in some sense, it's almost expected. Not around here in "these parts"... but... you know... out there... in the world.
My beef is this: Thank you Feminism! But hey, we are equal and different! I don't buy into the idea that gender is a myth. Feminism should (and is) slowly developing an addendum that the point all along was: We have the right to choose. Some great feminist movers see this as the equivalent of printing a retraction. If I want to stay at home, let me! I have been working a bit and realized how much I missed the socializing, but when it comes right down to it, I'd rather be home with "my girls"... and that's okay.
Please, all you girls out there, read The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands.
by Dr. Laura Schlesinger. Move over Margaret Atwood! Don't you just love Dr. Laura? I used to listen to her radio show with my Mom every day. Dr. Laura stands bravely alone, calling women out on this over-the-top, blame-the-man syndrome that has ran rampant.
I am for feminism, but I love my femininity. We are equal, but different. Women expect men to fill so many roles that they aren't even capable of, while failing to fill their own roles. (whether these are assigned or not is a tale for another day) I'm surprised Dr. Laura has yet to be burned at the stake for saying such reproachable, disgraceful, and utterly sinful things such as:
"Put a little perfume on and some make up before your husband comes home from work."
"Are you guilty of frump syndrome?"
"All a man needs to be happy is dinner on the table and lots of sex."
...and best of all...
"When was the last time a Woman was expected to be romantic in our popular culture?"
A woman expected to be romantic? What a crime! I cry Witch!
Come on, this isn't female oppression! She didn't say submit and obey. Encourage and praise your man for what he does do... bringing home the bacon. But if you want to bring home the bacon and fry it up in the pan too... more power to you.
I think Dr. Laura is a revolutionary. I think this is what modern modern feminism will look like.
I bring home a little bit of bacon now. We're talkin' little bitty... Bacon bits? And I fry it up in the pan. (sprinkle them on deviled eggs?) But Brandon cooks quesadillas on Sunday, and makes me my microwave nachos at the slightest request. I try and gussy up a bit before he comes home. I try to be cheerful. I'm a little psycho about socks on the floor, like most women, but don't want to be. I tell him how much I like his beard and that I appreciate how he supports our family. If I want a MAN, I had better treat him like one. He treats me like a Queen... I want him to think I am his W O M A N. It pampers his manliness, and I like manly! I think the more non-androgynous the individual roles in the relationship, the happier the couple. "Witch!" they cry aghast, "Witch!" ..."How dare she say such a thing!?"
Basically, the day I re-wrote my expectations of Brandon and myself, satisfaction in marriage grew deeper.
more reads:
Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves: Women in Classic Antiquity, Sarah Pomeroy.
Failing at Fariness: How Our Schools Cheat Girls, Myra Sadker, David Sadker.
This gender schooling business has been on the news the last few days. The ACLU was freaking out, as if gender-specific schooling is such a sin! Again: We are equal, and different! Gender is NO myth!
Never again Alana. It is hard for me to post things, especially in the evening, because I can't quit. I have such a big mouth. Hopefully, I will be able to sleep now.

3 comments:
Women act.
Men react.
You just inspired an epiphany:
The Garden of Eden!!!
Man you gals go way deep in your blogging and sometimes in many words but sometimes in not the many and say tons.
Post a Comment