When was somebody going to tell me that Herb was a pole vaulter? I really feel out of the loop. There were other great things I learned about Herb while Ciara was here. For starters, he is a CIA agent, though he will hardly admit it. You're not pulling the wool over these eyes, Herb. Did you also know that his Dad took him to a Grateful Dead show in Las Vegas when he was 15? That's one quick way to get an education! We got to talking and discovered that this was the same show my sister and brother also attended.
I'd heard many stories of Dead shows, but especially appreciated the one where little Herb got a second-hand high. His Dad took him to some relatively fresh air until the nausea abated. My only question is this: Herb, did your Mom know about this? It's such a DAD item. Perhaps the best imagery, aside from naked people, 4 foot bongs, and nitrous oxide balloons (surely better than the whipped cream can) was this: people selling vegetarian burritos displayed on blankets alongside their cars. I am still laughing. Thanks Herb for the great story.
The day I moved my things into my dorm in San Francisco, there was LOUD music emanating from... I just couldn't figure it out. I was highly concerned I had loud neighbors. Little did I know, I lived right across the street from Golden Gate Park but just didn't know it yet. The noise was the opening band for the Dead. That was the same show that Jerry Garcia didn't play because he was sick, and he died a while later.
Other funny Herb item: The Patch! I don't know why that was so funny.
Full circle: Today I happened to see a cottonwood with the tips of the branches tinged yellow. I look for that "first" like I look for the first tulip or cherry blossom in the Spring. I guess that's what got me thinking about Herbs story because my first yellow cottonwood always brings THIS to mind. I used to have a tradition of going up to Zion to my secret rock to see the yellow- tipped leaves, the Autumn-blue sky and enjoy my last rose of summer, and that song always reminds me of that. The trigger was either the tree or my Cherry Garcia I ate last night.
And Ciara, surely you remember THIS.
Fire, fire on the mountain.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Little Did I know...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What, work??? I don't know how you're going to do it. I think that's why I'm working so hard now... because I know I'll never be able to go back once I experience the blissful joy of unemployment.
PS- WHAT? a full on suit? This IS a shock. You're going to have to pull some strings because the party canNOT occur without you!!!
Work will be a welcome respite, though I'm already adding up the hours away from Anika that will be gone forever. I will work only 2 nights a week starting at 5 or 6. Anika goes to bed at 7 or 8. That's 4 hours a week she will miss me... 16 hours a month I can never have with her again. Tear. But we have no choice, other than Brandon taking a night job but that would reeeally suck. It will be nice, though, to associate with these "human beings" I've been hearing about. And yes, duh, I HAVE got to go to this party and I HAVE GOT to start practicing my Charleston!
Post a Comment